WIMS Scholarship for AAMC Women Mid Career Faculty Professional Development Seminar
The seminar is targeted at physicians and Ph.D. scientists holding medical school appointments and leadership positions within their discipline, department or institution. This is an interactive program. If you are accepted by the AAMC and sponsored by WIMS or the Joy McCann Professorship, you must attend the entire seminar and actively participate in preparatory assignments. During the seminar, the use of laptops is encouraged for accessing the online materials. No handouts are distributed. Upon return, you will be asked to do two things: a) write a one-page (max) summary of what you learned and how you plan to apply it, and b) participate in a noon-time panel presentation with other WIMS sponsored participants on the value gained by attending. The purpose of the panel is to help other KU-SOM women determine if the conference is something they wish to pursue in the future. See List of Previous KU Attendees.
- WIMS will cover the conference registration fee only to attend the Annual AAMC Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar. Once a scholarship recipient is notified they are to contact Judy Brohammer in the Office of Finance to process their conference registration. Personal credit card payments are not to be used.
- WIMS will support two candidates (preferably one basic science and one clinical faculty) who meet the criteria established by the WIMS Recognition Committee and WIMS Executive Council.
Who is Eligible to Apply:
- KUMC SOM women faculty member at the level of associate professor or early professor (to reflect that only professors recently promoted will be considered) (basic science or clinical faculty )
- Nominees do not qualify for this scholarship if serving as a member of the Dean's staff or as a WIMS Executive Council member or officer, or member of the WIMS Recognition Committee.
WIMS Scholarship Application Materials:
- Candidate CV
- Evidence of financial support for candidate’s accommodations and travel expenses (from the candidate herself or her department, division, or center)
- Evidence that candidate’s supervisor will protect candidate’s time to attend the AAMC seminar in its entirety
- Candidate letter stating a) candidate’s interest in attending the seminar, b) why the candidate feels she is deserving to attend, and c) what benefits will be gained by the candidate and/or the WIMS membership and/or the university through this experience.
WIMS Scholarship Application Evaluation Criteria:
- General qualifications and previous professional accomplishments of candidate
- Record of service at KUMC
- Past and potential support of WIMS through service and participation in WIMS-sponsored events
- Evidence must be provided for financial support for candidate’s accommodations and travel expenses (from the candidate herself or her department, division, or center)
- Evidence that candidate’s supervisor will protect candidate’s time to attend the AAMC Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar in its entirety
- Value of candidate’s attendance to candidate herself and to the institution
- Evaluation of candidate’s statement of interest
Candidate Selection Process:
- Receipt of candidate’s materials via email by the WIMS Scholarship Application Deadline: Early September. (Exact date TBA each year) NOTE: Materials must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Evaluation of candidate’s materials by the WIMS Recognition Committee
- Presentation of rankings to WIMS Executive Committee
- Notification of the committee's decision to the Executive Dean.
- Notification of the committee’s decision to each candidate (individually).
WIMS Role and Expectations Upon Selection:
- WIMS Recognition Committee will work with the candidate/candidate’s supervisor to prepare the AAMC-required “Letter of Intent and Support” by the annual AAMC Application Deadline, late September.
- Candidate will be responsible for converting their CV to AAMC desired format (optional see instructions ...) prior to AAMC online application deadline.
- Candidate will be responsible for their AAMC Application Apply Online
- Candidate will be expected to provide a report on their experiences to the WIMS Membership following their attendance at the seminar.
May 02, 2013